Looking to rent out your property but not sure how to get it ready?
Renting out your home can be a little stressful especially if it is your first time. There are many easy steps that you can take to get it viewer ready in no time!
What if my property is furnished?
If your property is furnished you will want to make a list of all items that will be included in your rental. This can even be in a checklist format to make it easier to inventory. If your property is rented for a short term or even a long period of time you will not remember what you had left at the Property Management Specialists for the tenants to use and when it comes time to move out, this list will be extremely helpful.
You will also want to make sure that the property is professionally cleaned including, upholstery, bedding and draperies if needed.
If it’s furnished it’s nice to leave the essentials for the tenants but don’t leave items that aren’t needed or create too much clutter.
What should I do to make sure that the property looks it’s best for potential tenants?
The better your property looks, the easier it will be to rent it out and you will get the best rental price if it looks well-maintained. There are some easy steps to take to get it visually viewer ready and it doesn’t have to cost you a fortune.
- Hire professional cleaners to do a thorough cleaning
- Clean the windows
- Cut the lawn if needed or do a landscaping cleanup
- Add potted or hanging plants
- Have all carpets professionally cleaned
- Clean appliances inside and out and deodorize if needed
- Change any burnt out light bulbs
- Check that ceiling fans and light fixtures are clean
- Look for hidden cobwebs
- Check for any paint touch ups that are needed
- Pressure wash decks, walkways, railings or outdoor furniture
- In the winter…remove ice and snow off walkways and stairs
- Get rid of any clutter
- Clean drapes and blinds if necessary
- Install air fresheners
Other maintenance issues that may come up can include the following:
- Change the air filters
- Pool or hot tub maintenance
- Check the plumbing
- Check that all of the appliances are working properly
- Inspect smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working
- Inspect any fire extinguishers at the property
- Clean the gutters
- Air duct cleaning
- Change HVAC filters
Now the property is ready to show but do I hire a Property Management Company?
Once your Property Management Specialists is ready to view you will ask yourself do you schedule the viewings yourself or hire a company to take over and manage it? If you hire a property management company they are experienced when it comes to staging a home and they will take care of all of the important details. But if you decide to manage the property yourself you will want to follow a few steps when showing your property to give an excellent first impression!
- Arrive early and open the blinds or drapes to let the natural light in.
- Turn on the fireplace…this gives the space a cozy feel.
- Turn on the heat before the viewing so that it is warm.
- Turn on the lights.
- Open up the living space by opening the doors.
- Remove any unnecessary clutter.
- If it’s not too cold open a window for fresh air
What if the property has tenants?
If the property is tenanted you always want to make sure that the tenant’s are given at least 24 hours notice before scheduling a viewing. You will also want to make sure that they have the option to be present for the viewing but if they can’t be that they are comfortable with you or a Property Management Specialists company showing it. Remind tenants that it will rent quicker if it is tidy and they will have less disruptions once you get it rented so they should keep it as clean and tidy as possible.
Orca Realty Inc.
Unit 204 – 2438 Marine Dr. West Vancouver, BC, V7V 1L2 Canada